Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Week 48

Hi Mom!!!!!

No worries about it being a little late! It was super good timing! Haha I've also noticed how much I've had to change and move around - Heavenly Father has a pretty good sense of humor :) I think I am getting at least a little bit better at it - I hope. I'm just nervous for whatever I get next :) So my week was pretty good! We did some organizing in our new house; we had to stuff 4 rooms and 2 living rooms worth of furniture into 3 rooms and 1 living room. We have five bunk beds for the new missionaries to sleep on, so one of our rooms has three bunk beds in it. Only the skinniest missionaries will be able to get into the closet, and some of them will have to squeeze back into their bunk :) We got to teach a couple of our investigators. Nancy was sick, so we gave her a blessing and talked to her about the gospel a bit. The adversary is starting his work on her, with this sickness and a broken air conditioner, etc, but she's so open to our message. She said she feels a lot of peace when she reads the Book of Mormon. I knew she was a keeper last week when she missed a call from us, then called back to reschedule an appointment. Those are hard to come by :) Our other investigator is struggling a bit, but we hope we can continue to work with him. We found another lady that's SO friendly and funny and kind; but it's possible she's just being herself and isn't really that interested - we'll see!

All of the missionaries had interviews with President and Sister Palmer this week, and for one of the first times, the assistants got an interview too! So I spend about 5-10 minutes with President, and dang that man is good at making people feel good about themselves! :) It was really nice because I had a couple of questions to ask him, and even though I'm around him quite a bit, it's never personal conversation. So that was one of the highlights this week. I also got to spend a day with one of the zone leader companionships. One of them came out with me, so that was lots of fun. The other came out a transfer after me, and I learned so much from him about truly listening to people and caring about them; he's super good at it. Let's see....oh, today, I was in Burlington and ran to the bathroom; I walked into one of the stalls, and there was a guy in there! So I hurriedly closed the door, and he started talking to me - straight up having a conversation! With very profane language! "Haha that made my day! You should have seen the look on your face! That's why they need to put locks on these stalls! I'm just sitting here having a good time! Going to the bathroom and the internet - my favorite pastime!" Etc. Include various swearwords as you wish... probably about 3 per sentence would be accurate :)

Dang, marriages?!? That's so weird! Maddie sent me an update last week about all the people getting married, and...dang it's crazy! That sounds like lots of fun though!!

This week should be fun; we get to talk a lot about transfers. There are 17 missionaries coming in, so we need to find that many trainers. And we'll be figuring out my next companion. Ah scary stuff! I'll need the prayers, so thank you!! That's a really cool thought from sacrament meeting! And from How Firm A Foundation! Thank you for that - that was a super good reminder for me. I needed it! Kinda along with those thoughts, I found another favorite hymn today! It's #129, Where Can I Turn For Peace?

Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace?
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, searching my soul?

Where, when my aching grows, where, when I languish,
Where, when I need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish,
Who, who can understand? He, only One.

He answers privately, reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace He finds for my beseeching
Constant He is and kind, love without end.

I've found that as much as others can help lift and comfort, really it's Christ and our Heavenly Father that bring the true comfort. He suffered Gethsemane so that when we're going through our own personal struggles and trials, He can be our Savior and Friend. As you explained, He is always there to meet us and help us where we are.

Again, next week is transfers, so I might not get much, if any, time to email on Monday. Especially with 17 new missionaries :/ I'll do my best though!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for everything!!! I love you so much! I hope you have an incredible week! Thanks for being such an incredible Mom!! :)

Love,
Elder Connor Hopkin :)



Elder Hopkin and Elder Maxwell


"This is that service project we did for the Pentecostal guy - moving this gravel from next door into his backyard. Fun stuff! Here's the cool part: We finished this last Saturday, and he said something like, "You know, I've never wanted to learn anything about your religion because I didn't want to get in an argument. But I'm really curious now! I'll feed you lunch and we can talk a bit!" So he's still not about to change or anything, but we were able to have a really good conversation with him and his wife about some of our beliefs and some of theirs and help them understand a little more!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment